Sunday, August 12, 2012

A day

5:00 am - Cell phone alarm rings. Consider getting up to go running. Don't.
5:40 am - Wake up thinking I've overslept. Realize I haven't. Go back to sleep.
5:42 am - Actually, wake up again to go to the latrine.
6:24 am - For some reason, I always wake up at exactly this time.
6:30 am - Bucket bath. Exciting when my host sister gives me heated water.
6:45 am - Host sisters have a knack for bringing me breakfast right before I have a chance to put clothes on.
7:30 am - Meet another trainee Susan who lives near me, and bike 15 minutes to training. Shoot dirty looks at small children yelling "Nasaara! Comment tu t'appelles!" (White person! What's your name!) every 10 feet.
8 - 12 - Model school: I teach for 1 hour a day. The rest of the time is spent lesson planning or, more likely, procrastinating while sitting around eating fried dough balls and reading The New Yorker.
12:15 pm - Get in line for lunch at Chez Valerie, a stand near the training center with some of the better Burkinabè food I've had here.
1:15 pm - Watch chickens fight over an empty plastic bag, then get freaked out by a butterfly and run away. Contemplate the relative levels of intelligence of flies, chickens, and jellyfish. Ranking does not come out well for chickens. Makes me feel good about myself.
2:00 pm - Afternoon training sessions. They always follow the same formula: a statement of objectives, an overabundance of flip charts, and counting off into groups for practice scenarios.
2:30 pm - Try to stay awake.
2:45 pm - Daydream about food.
5:15 pm - Training over; head back to Chez Valerie with other trainees for cookies and café au lait. Beer or 10-cent whiskey shots a possibility. Feeling good.
6:00 pm - Go back home
6:30 pm - Bucket bath #2
6:45 pm - Sit around listening to the radio with host parents. Don't really listen because the mixture of static and fast French makes it difficult to understand. Nod and agree with whatever they say.
7:15 pm - Dinner
7:45 pm - More half-listening to radio.
8:15 pm - Try to plan lessons, end up procrastinating and reading more on my Kindle.
8:45 pm - Sweat. Alarm clock thermometer says 95 degrees inside my house. Read labels on items in med kit saying not to store above 80 degrees.
9:15 pm - Remember I was supposed to do push-ups tonight. Spend 10 minutes texting other trainees to psych myself up. Do them. Sweat some more.
9:45 pm - Set out running clothes so I'll go running tomorrow. Go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment