Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving

I guess I haven't been keeping up with posting. I did upload pictures onto Facebook though! Click here to see them.

For Thanksgiving, the other 2 volunteers from my region and I got together and prepared a big meal. I brought 2 loaves of cornbread and 2 apple cakes to Katie's house, about 5 miles from my site. When I arrived around 11, Zach was busy feathering and gutting the 4 ducks that we had bought, while Katie was scrubbing and chopping a mountain of potatoes. I helped with the chopping, boiling, and mashing of the potatoes, and everything was done by around 2 pm. In the end, our menu included:

  • Roasted ducks with stuffing
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Papaya salad with a sweet chile sauce
  • Cornbread
  • Rice pudding
  • Apple cake
Everything came out really well. A lot better than I was expecting really. And all done under $50, the largest cost being the ducks at a total of about $25. I think about 50 people from Katie's site showed up wanting food, and the president and treasurer from my school's parents' association came over to join us also. Not bad. There are pictures in the Facebook album. We saved a duck and servings of everything else for ourselves, and had a spread for everyone else to share. There's nothing like free food to bring people together.

No comments:

Post a Comment