Friday, November 29, 2013

Duck-day

To celebrate Thanksgiving yesterday, I got together with 3 other volunteers (my sitemate Katie, Zach, and Kristen) and had a big meal at my house. I've never seen a turkey within 100 miles of my village, but instead we got ducks, which are really kind of better anyway. My school's parents' association gifted 4 ducks to me as a thank-you for the library and other activities, and we also had mashed potatoes, stuffing, salad, popcorn, tofu, ginger cake, coconut macaroons, and pumpkin pie. Somewhere around 20 Burkinabe friends came over in the end. After this, I will never complain about having too small of a kitchen again (that's probably a lie)--we pulled off dinner for 24 people with a grand total of 3 square feet of counter space and 2 gas burners and no refrigerator or separate oven. Take that!

Something I look forward to next Thanksgiving: not starting off with live birds.

Zach prepares to earn his Thanksgiving meal
My pumpkin pie, next to the oven
I was so proud of how this pumpkin pie came out. I didn't think it would come out that well. It did. Thanks Grandma for the boxed pumpkin you sent me.

Plucking and gutting (guess who got to clean this up afterward)
Burkinabes arranged themselves into an audience so that they could awkwardly stare in silence at the Americans
The White People Show
Commissaire, my boutiquier (shop owner) and generally a heavy-hitter in the community
The explanation behind the outfit- the red tank top is made out of a traditional Mossi fabric. The Mossi are the dominant ethnic group in my region. It depicts a bird delivering a letter, and it's supposed to symbolize peace, or something. The wrap on the bottom is traditionally woven and dyed fabric. When Burkinabe women dress up for cultural events, they wear the two together.

When Burkinabes get behind the camera
In my English class on the morning of Thanksgiving, I asked each of my students to write 3 things that they were thankful for. Most of them wrote things like "I am thankful for my boyfriend because he bought me some clothes." or "I am thankful for my wife because she gave me a kiss." (??) One of my personal favorites was "I am thankful for pawpaws and watermelons because I like them."

The girls. (Look in the background, how big my trees are getting!)
Personally, I am thankful for my students, and for all my village friends who have my back. I'd also like to appreciate all of the people at home who have kept in touch with me and encouraged me over the past year and a half. You guys are the best.

Pie?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Mar! That's an impressive meal in your environs. Does fresh duck have a different texture and taste different than what we get in the States?

    I am thankful for people like you in the world :) Thanks for sharing/blogging about it, too.

    ReplyDelete